Bonnie's Dilly Bread
Recipe type: Breads
- 4 Tsp. Active Dried Yeast
- 2 Cups Lukewarm Water
- 2 Tsp. Sugar
- Approx. 8 Cups Flour
- (Whole wheat should be added slowly to create the right consistency.)
- 1/2 Onion Chopped
- 4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Large Dill Bunch Chopped Fine or 1/4 Cup dried Dill
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Cottage Cheese
- 4 Tsp. Salt
- Milk for Glazing
- Mix together yeast, water and sugar in a large bowl and leave for 15 minutes to dissolve.
- Stir in about half of the flour. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- In a frying pan cook the onion in 1 Tbsp. of oil until transparent and set aside to cool.
- Stir in the dill, eggs, cottage cheese, salt and remaining oil into the yeast mixture.
- Gradually add the remaining flour until too stiff to stir.
- Transfer to a floured surface and kneed until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a bowl, cover and leave to rise until doubled in volume, 1-1.5 hours.
- Grease a large baking sheet, dividing the dough in half and shaping into rounds, leave to rise in a warm place for thirty minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Score the tops, brush with milk and bake until browned, 30-45 minutes.
- Set on rack to cool. Enjoy!