Okay, so this is a recipe I am making for myself. My husband is a SUPER picky eater and I have to find ways to make his favorite foods from scratch because I’ve been in the over-processed doldrums lately. I am trying to find ways to make his favorite processed foods in a fresh way that mimics the boxed and frozen foods as closely as possible. (One of these days, hiding veggies in these sauces too. SHHHHHH!) So I got this recipe from my grandmother (She hates it because it takes so long at the stove); it’s delicious her way. Last time she made if for me was my 21rst birthday and we had this beautiful two-sauce shrimp-stuffed pasta shells. *Starts to daydream about those shells.*
… Okay, back to the present… I have the fortunate luck to have a vitamix blender so I won’t be making this in a pot on the stove. When I did I would have a bout of ADHA and wander away and boil it over or something silly like that. It always turned out a bit lumpy because I always seem to make it on hockey night and I get distracted. The vitamix I have has a soup pre-set that will work lovely for this sauce. This time it didn’t get as hot as I like so I waited 5 mins and hit the preset again. The only thing I would change is to lightly cook the minced garlic before putting it into the blender. Lightly browning it can get rid of any possible bitterness fresh garlic can have.
Came out very frothy and simmering. You’ll want to let it thicken up before serving. So this isn’t the “healthiest” version of this recipe. It’s made exactly how my Grammy would have made it on the stove tweeked however she wanted over the years. That woman loves real butter and real cheese! I wasn’t blessed with her tiny norweigian genes so this is an occasional treat for me. My husband is addicted though, lol. I use the fact that there are no additives or preservatives in it and everything is fresh as a way to cheat my girl guilt over this rich dish. If there is interest I will post a lower fat version with some veggie’s hidden in it. I will have to experiment to work that out!
- 1 Tblsp Fresh Ground Hard White Wheat
- 1 Pound Penne or Fettuccine Pasta
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Clove or to Taste Minced Garlic
- 1 Pint Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tblsp Cream Cheese
- 1/4 Tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/2 Tsp White Pepper or to taste
- Make Pasta to your liking.
- In a pot over Med. heat: Melt butter and add garlic and let cook for about 2 mins. Add the heavy cream and cream cheese and heat til bubbling but do not let it boil. Slowly add the parmesan cheese and mix until is melts. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper to taste. The flour is used to thicken. You do not have to use all of these last items and sometimes I use black pepper instead of white and if I want thinner sauce I won't use flour.
- In a high powered blender like a vitamix: Place all ingredients into the blender and securely replace lid. If there is a soup preset use that however if not start on setting 1 working your way up to level 10 and let it blend and heat your sauce for about 5 mins. You will have a steamy creamy and smooth sauce.
- Mix sauce in to pot of noodles and serve!
Now, hopefully, I will get a manual pasta maker and have homemade noodles to go with it one day but if you don’t the quality boxed will be great! Hope you loved this as much as I loved making it! ~Wendy <3